When the air gets warmer, cooler surfaces in your home retain some water and release moisture – this leads to condensation and mould. This is often mistaken for damp.
Spot the signs of condensation
- Mirrors and windows steam up.
- Furnishings feel damp.
- Moist walls.
- Black spots of mould appear on outside-facing walls.
Know the cause of condensation
- Poor ventilation.
- Cold surfaces.
- High amounts of water vapour from cooking, bath, tumble dryer, etc.
- Have medium/low heat through the house.
- Heating one room at a high level and leaving others cold makes condensation worse in unheated rooms.
- Keep your central heating on longer, allowing rooms to stay warmer longer.
- If you don’t have heating in every room, keep unheated rooms open to let heat in.
- Don’t use paraffin or liquid gas heaters.
- Make sure fans are switched on and working in kitchens and bathrooms.
- Leave a gap between furniture and external walls.
- Open a window when boiling a pan or a kettle, running a bath or using a tumble dryer.
- Keep lids on boiling pans.
- Don’t dry clothes on radiators.
- Don’t over-ventilate when it’s cold.
- ‘Cross ventilate’ your home by opening a small window downstairs and another upstairs on the opposite side. Make sure you close them when you leave.
- Open internal room doors so that drier air can circulate.
- Keep bathroom and kitchen doors closed when cooking or bathing.
- Treat black mould immediately. Mould can easily be wiped away.
- Mould and mildew spray can be bought from most supermarkets.
If you have tried all of the above tips and you are still experiencing problems, please call us on 01282 686300 for further advice.
Many people have worries about asbestos, but undisturbed asbestos usually poses no problems. However, care should be taken to prevent the release of asbestos fibres as they can cause serious damage to your health.
A number of our homes contain asbestos and we are committed to ensuring that all materials containing asbestos are safe.
Remember – asbestos containing materials in good condition and left undisturbed are SAFE. If in doubt, contact us on 01282 686300.
See our Frequently Asked Questions for further information.
Asbestos is a natural occurring material that has been used in a range of building materials to make them more rigid and fire resistant.
You should not panic. Asbestos is safe if left undisturbed unless it’s damaged or disturbed as part of carrying out DIY or other building related work.
Contact us and we will be able to check our Asbestos Register and tell you whether there is a record of asbestos being present in your home.
If there is no record, we will survey your home and may take samples of the suspected material for analysis. We will tell you what actions we will take, which may include leaving it alone if it’s in good condition and in a location unlikely to be disturbed.