Is it time to move to Universal Credit?
What is Universal Credit?
Universal Credit is a means-tested benefit of a working age with low income.
Universal Credit is broken down into different elements depending on your circumstances:
- The ‘personal element’ is that money covers your living costs and children’s living costs.
- The ‘housing element’ is the money that covers your rent.
If you’re struggling, please don’t suffer in silence.
If you’re having trouble paying your rent or have fallen into rent arrears, get in touch.
Any agreement you make to reduce rent arrears needs to be realistic and based on your current income and circumstances.
Your claim can take up to five weeks – your rent account and other bills may fall into arrears while this is being processed.
Making a claim
If you feel like your financial situation is getting out of control, there are a number of things you can do:
- Speak to the Job Centre about getting your rent paid directly to us – call them on 0845 6043719
- Find out more about Universal Credit here.
- Ask to be referred to our Tenancy Sustainment Team for help with debts, budgeting and benefits – call them on 01282 686300 or email email@example.com or visit money advice service to access their budget planner
- Contact your local Citizens Advice representative – call 01282 616750
- Contact Shelter on 0344 515 1831
- Contact Step Change Debt Charity on 0800 138 1111
- Speak to Welfare Rights by calling 0845 053 0013